Born in 1720 at Weedon, Bucks, England.
Christened at Hardwick, Bucks., on 28 August, 1720.
Marrried Hannah Turpin at St Mary's, Aylesbury, Bucks, England, on 26 February 1754.
John and Hannah had four daughters and two sons:
- Mary, born 1755, died 28 June 1755;
- John, Christened at Hardwick on 27 August 1758, Married Anne King at Hardwick on 22 November, 1780, and died in 1845;
- Mary, Christened at Hardwick on 18 November 1761, married Charles Brooks at Hardwick on 12 September 1780;
- Hannah, Christened at Hardwick on 9 December 1763;
- William, born 1767, christened at Hardwick on 17 April 1767, married Anne Brooks at Hardwick on 4 June 1789, and died 19 March 1831
- Elizabeth, Christened at Hardwick on 7 November 1756, married Bernard Bone at Hardwick on 2 January 1783;
With John Seamons of the 18th century, the personal character of some of the Seamons' becomes clearer. Tradition said that this particular John was as "stubborn as a mule". Perhaps he needed to be, for it was he who broke with the conservatism of his native Weedon village by introducing the religion of Methodism into it.
He had inherited, under the will of his grandfather "Big John", a piece of freehold land, called "Snugge", which had a farmhouse near the entrance gate. On the 8 August, 1772, at the Buckinghamshire Quarter Sessions held in Aylesbury, the house of John Seamons of Weedon, was registered as a Place of Public Worship. His descendants have since hoisted the Methodist banner in five continents. On his death, he left two sons, still a further John, and one named William.
Honouring the family longevity, this stout, independent lived to 85 years. In keeping with the normal custom, "Snugge" passed to his eldest son John (who lived elsewhere at Quarrendon), but the younger son William, farmed the land.
The elder son, John, married Anne King, and their descendents numbers grew, and spread to the United States of America. Many direct descendants of John and Anne are still flourishing in England today. Anne's surname, "King" was widely honoured by the family, particularly through its application as a middle name, such as in Henry King Seamons, which appeared multiple times in John and Anne's descendants. Similar use of a wife's surname as a second name can be seen in other descendant's (i.e., William Fincher Seamons). The story of John and Anne's family, is a separate story, details of which can be found in the "Seamons of Weedon" document.
From the New College Archives, the following valuation was given for land owned by John Seamons in 1797:
"One Messuage ( a dwelling-house with associated outbuildings and land) of 40 acres of arable meadow and pasture.
Farm house, Stable, two Barns, Cow House and hovels, Backyard and garden, about 1 Acre: £ 3 / 5 / -
Dispersed lands of 40 acres: £ 28 / - / -
Total valuation of £ 31 / 5 / -"
In the above document, about 20 properties were described and valued in the manor of Hardwick with Weedon. The surveyor described the greater part of the buildings as being old and pretty much out of repair.
The open held acres were taken as being worth two-thirds or three-quarters of a statute acre, and on that principle worth about 14/- an acre.